Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Gifts from friends

006

This is a cucumber, (stating the obvious) it was a gift from our wonderful friends around the road. Lovingly fed and organically grown in their backyard and hand delivered into my kitchen. This may look like any other cucumber, but I can tell you it is not. This is in fact, the BIGGEST cucumber I have ever seen, store bought or backyard-grown. It is a whopping 72 centimetres in length and 27 centimetres in diameter. This cucumber is so big, it does not fit in my fridge! I had to cut it in half to get it into the vege compartment!

We were a little concerned it would be lacking in flavour because of its size, but not so. It was so crisp and flavoursome and full of cucumbery goodness. We had it in salad’s, I made cucumber chains for the girls lunchbox’s, the wombat had cucumber sandwiches, and I had cucumber with salt (I know…. really really bad) and now that the cucumber has been devoured, all we have to remember it by is the seeds drying, waiting to be planted so we can in turn enjoy the fruits of a gigantic cucumber, and maybe share our excessive organic produce with someone who will appreciate it as much as we did.

Ps… our hearts go out to you Braise, we hope your sister is back on her feet soon and barking at the front gate as she should be xx

2 comments:

My Sons Mum said...

Was that our cucumber? We have had it in stir frys too...yum!
Thankyou beautiful family, my sissy is doing well xx

Jahnava said...

hoooolllleyyy dooollleeyyyy.... .now thats a cucumber and a half plus a bit more!