Monday, January 19, 2009

Blocking

I'm not sure how it is with other knitters but I have a real problem with finishing. I cast off on one project put it in my ‘finishing basket’  and cast on a new project that night. With my feral wombat spending a lot of time in her snuggle, knitting had become near impossible with her ripping the needles out every few minutes so blocking, crocheting edges and beading was becoming more and more appealing. So I jumping into the ‘finishing basket’ hand washed in eucalyptus wool wash, blocked then set about finishing all my recent projects.

001

008 011

I knitted this baby blanket up about 6 months ago (told you I had a finishing problem) I fell in love with the pattern from stitch n bitch. Its such an easy knit yet almost elegant in its simplicity. I knit it up with Australian organic merino wool on size 6 needles (circs cause its kinda big) and the little bear is organic bamboo from my local yarn store and stuffed with roving. I didn't have a pattern for the bear or the little pocket so just estimated and I think they turned out really nice. A friend of ours has recently had a baby boy so if I can pry the bear off the wombat that instantly fell in love with him, this little blankie and bear should have a nice new home. 

046

The first pair of socks. Oh my, I am so proud of you. Don't you look so rugged and warm casually lying there on that rock. How you make my heart soar with pride and love for you. My wonderful, beautiful, uneven, saggy, ill-fitting first pair of socks. I will forever cherish the both of you.

015

017 020

This is a shawl I made for my wonderful mother in law. It was knitted up for her for Christmas but lay unfinished until now. Lucky for me she has a birthday in April otherwise it may have mysteriously ended up in my closet. It is stunning. A simple wrap yarn twice over needle and drop stitches pattern but the different yarns and colours all mix together so beautifully. I put a few little beads on the arms and some black moonlight ribbon through the ends and crocheted around the whole shawl. I will take some more pictures of her wearing it soon.

025

030 027

This little hat (which she stole from the ‘finishing basket’ a while back) was finally washed and dried. I love this pattern and have made a few of them as presents. The yarn was Noro left over from the socks and knitted on size 5 circs. Isn't the little button adorable? I wish I had a little butterfly or lady beetle button to sew on but the brown one is still gorgeous.

So, for now, my basket is empty. There are still a few other items that I cant post yet as they are presents for people with birthdays coming up that I know read this blog…. you know who you are…

No comments: